Thursday, November 6, 2014

Red Poppy - Old School

This tutorial was written by me on 11/06/2014 and assumes you have working knowledge of PSP. Any similarities to other tuts is purely coincidental and not done on purpose.


I had a complete hard drive crash back in September. It was absolutely devastating as I lost everything. I'm in the process of getting back what I can but some things I'll never get back. This tag is one of the first tags I made after my crash. I had no filters at all and a small handful of tubes. I liked how this tag turned out so well that I decided to write a tut for it as soon as I was able. I have filters now but only made a small change on this one to use a gradient glow on the name. Everything else is 100% old school.

For this tut you will need:

PSP - I use version X3 but most versions will do
Tube of choice - I'm using the artwork of Jasmine Becket-Griffith.
You can purchase this tube at CDO. Do not use this tube without purchasing a license first.
 Mask 12 by WSL
Ding font Starz 2 
Font of choice, I used Whackadoo
Eye Candy 4000 Gradient glow
Let's begin, remember to save as you go.

Open a new image 550 x 550. Flood fill white. Copy your tube and paste as a new layer. Resize if needed.

Duplicate your tube and flip. Change the blend mode on the top tube to overlay. Merge Down.

Duplicate your merged layer and rotate 90 degrees to the left. Change the blend mode on this layer to hard light. Merge down again and you should have just 2 layers. The white flood filled and the layer with your merged tubes.

With your merged layer active, add mask from image and merge group.

Activate your text tool. Select your ding font. Change your foreground and background to a medium and dark color from your tube. So I used 2 shades of red from the poppies. Click on your foreground box and create a foreground-background gradient with the angle at 45, repeats 1. Invert will depend on your colors and if you want the darker color on the outside or inside. Click ok when done. And now set the background color to null.

Click on your canvas and type a capital I. Highlight the letter in the text entry box, change the size to something about as big as your mask layer. So for mine, the size is 550. So when your satisfied with how it looks, convert to raster and move it so it's centered on your mask. Give it a very slight drop shadow at 0, 0, 30, 5.

Copy your tube and paste as a new layer again. Resize so it's about the same size as your masked area. I resized mine 80%. Give your tube a darker drop shadow, I used -3, 3, 60, 10. Then I repeated the drop shadow at 1, -1, 50, 5.

Now you can add your copyright info how you like or if you want to do it on a curve like on my tag then follow these steps:

Change your foreground color to solid, with the background still null. Click on your Preset Shape/Ellipse Tool. Mode circle, width 3, create on vector and anti-alias checked.

Hold down your shift key and draw a circle about the size of your mask layer. Object, Align, Center in Canvas. If you need to adjust, click on the edit mode on the tools options bar. Keep this layer as a vector.

Click on your text tool again. Select your font for your credits. Add a new Vector layer, this is important. Be sure you change the text size back down to the proper size for adding credits. Change your foreground to null and your background color will be whatever color you want your credits to be in. Don't worry if this changed the circle, it won't matter when we're done. Put the alignment at center. Now hover your mouse over the top center of the circle until you see the curser change with a curved line under the A. Click and type out your credits. When you're done convert to raster and delete the vector layer with the circle.

Now activate your mask layer and click on your crop tool. Crop layer opaque.

Activate the top layer in your palette and add your name using foreground and background colors from your tube.

Give it an inner bevel of choice, I used this one:

Then give it a gradient glow, I used this one with the glow width at 3:


Finally give your name a drop shadow, I used -2, 2, 50, 5.

Delete the white layer, merge visible and save as a png or merge all and save as a jpg. Congrats you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment